Summary: Although pretty straightforward, especially the bread, there are some things you will need that are a little harder to get. They should still be somewhere in your local supermarket though, so good luck and here we go.
Ingredients Plain White Bread
- 3 lb strong white flour
- 2 knobs melted butter
- 1 pt slightly warm milk
- 2 oz dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 pt slightly warm water
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Firstly, put the bread tin somewhere warm, an airing cupboard or somewhere like that, it wants to be warm not hot ok.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt, yeast and butter together, add water and mix to a soft dough with your hands for 5 minutes.
- Cover and rest for 5 minutes before shaping roughly and placing into the bread tin.
- Use a large, high sided, loaf tin. It should be 6 to 8 inches high by 4 wide by 8 long if you can get one that shape.
- Cover with a damp cloth or tea towel and place in the same warm place for 30 minutes.
- Turn on the oven to heat up to 230°C.
- Put the bread on the middle shelf.
- Bake for 40 minutes but keep an eye on the top side to see if it’s getting a bit too dark.
- Take the loaf out and give the base a tap, it should sound sort of hollow but also a bit sold.
- Leave on a rack to cool for a bit before you try it.
Notes go here.
Preparation time: 20 min Cooking time: 5 mins Total time: 25 min Yield: 6 servings
Diet type: Vegetarian
Meal type: main
Culinary tradition: Scottish
You must log in to post a comment.