Summary: My grandfather used to make toffee and caramel candies. He always had a box of caramel candies on the table in the living room. Sure, they are not good for your teeth but the occasional one or two won’t hurt.
Ingredients for Caramel Candies
- 320 g granulated sugar
- 100 g water
- 250 g liquid honey
- 20 cl heavy cream (30% fat min.)
- 1 (or 2) vanilla pod
- 60 g glucose (ideally in thick syrup from, but powdered form works too)
- 250 g (unsalted) butter
- 10 g salt
- If using a real vanilla pod, split it open, scrape the beans into your cooking pot, then toss the pod in there too.
- Put all the other ingredients, except the butter, into your pot too
- Heat the pot on your stove top. All the ingredients will melt together.
- Use a sugar thermometer to track the temperature. You want to achieve a precise 134°C rolling boil.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to come off the boil, then add in the butter. Stir gently as the butter melts into the caramel.
- Pour the caramel onto a tray lined with a silicon mat and allow to cool for 2 hours
- Cut the caramel into bit sized chunks and wrap them in greaseproof paper
The caramel mix will be extremely hot. Take care to avoid burns while cooking.
Preparation time: 10 min Cooking time: 40 mins Total time: 50 min Yield: 40 to 50 candies
Diet type: Vegetarian
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: American
You must log in to post a comment.