Gingerbread Ingredients (for each side of the house)
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 100 g castor sugar
- 50 g margarine
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 tbsp milk
- pinch salt
- Make a template for your house using paper or cardboard and check that it all assembles OK.
- Mix all the gingerbread ingredients and form a dough.
- Roll the dough to about 5 mm or 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut roughly to shape, leaving a bit extra around.
- Back the gingerbread sheet for 15 to 12 minutes at 160 C.
- Just after it has come out the oven, the gingerbread will be soft. This is the time to cut it to match your template size.
- Once you have all the sides cooked and cut, make a dry assembly of the house to check the fit. You can make small adjustments by filing the sides down with a bread knife.
Sugar toffee Ingredients (to glue it together)
- 150 g sugar
- 50 ml water
- Heat the sugar and water in a small saucepan until all the sugar melts.
- Holding the pieces of gingerbread together, use a spoon to drip some of the toffee long the crack.
- Hold until cool and the toffee is hard.
- You may have to reheat the toffee several times before you have all the house assembled.
Royal Icing Ingredients
- 4 egg whites
- 4 cups sifted icing sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of glycerine (optional)
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff
- Gently whisk in the sugar, a little at a time
- Add the lemon juice (this prevents the icing from yellowing).
- If you want, add a spoon of glycerine. This will stop the icing from hardening too much, making it easier to eat.
- Use the icing, and any candies you have to hand, to decorate the gingerbread house.
You must log in to post a comment.