Summary: A great source of iron in your diet is liver – however, many people are squeamish about eating liver or find the taste too strong. The solution is to make pork liver paté. The pork liver paté dilutes the liver with other ingredients, improving the flavour and the texture. A little pork liver paté spread on some bread or a biscuit is an idea healthy snack. You can also use the paté as a dip for vegetables such as carrot sticks or celery sticks. This paté recipe is a very simple basic but great tasting paté. You can add to the basic recipe yourself to make many various styles of paté
Ingredients for Pork Liver Paté
- 500 g Pork Liver
- 500 g Pork meat (not too lean)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil or melted butter
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 or 3 tblsp salt
- Put the liver, pork meat, onion and garlic through a meat grinder, mincing machine or food processor.
- Add all the other ingredients to the minced meats. It might look awful at this stage but it will be fine when cooked.
- Put the meat mix into a baking tin or loaf tin and bake in an oven at gas 5 or 180C for 1 hour.
- Empty the cooked paté into a bowl and mash with a fork. If it is a bit stiff or granular, add a little more oil till you get a spreadable consistency.
- Return the paté to the loaf tin and let it cook then place in the refrigerator and chill it. This helps the meat firm up and hold together better.
- Turn our the meat onto a cutting board and slice into portions.
You can build on this recipe by adding other items to the paté mix before or after cooking. For example, more garlic, leek, celery, cranberries, pin nuts, etc.
Preparation time: 30 min Cooking time: 60 mins Total time: 90 min Yield: 20 servings
Diet type: Meat and eggs
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: Scottish
You must log in to post a comment.